Monday, August 30, 2010

Journal #2

Deep in the woodlands of Michigan, there lived a squirrel named Dave. He lived in the most lavish little house made entirely from acorns and twigs. Dave was a kind squirrel, and he would often do volunteer work for the little town of Weldon, where he lived. Weldon was a tiny little town in the middle of a dense forest. Dave lived about twelve miles from Weldon in a house that he built himself. All the animals in Weldon loved Dave. Dave was also a fantastic cook. He would bake loaves of seven-grain wheat bread for the local orphanage, and he would bake apple pies for the senior center. He attended every bingo night just to spend time with his elders. Although Dave had great social skills, he preferred to stay indoors. All his time was spent wood carving in his little home.
One day, there was a knock on Dave's acorn door. Dave ignored the first few knocks because he was busy mixing the cake batter for the butterfly festival later that evening. The knocking continued until Dave could not stand the insistent drum of the door any longer. He wiped his small paws on a rag then grumpily bumbled over to the door. He unlocked the door then slowly allowed it to creak open.
"Hello?" Dave said as he cautiously peered outside.
"Oh, thank goodness you're home! I was beginning to think that this abode was abandoned!" a small voice squeaked from his doorstep.
Dave fully opened the door to reveal a portly beaver.
"I don't suppose you could help me? You see, I appear to have wandered too far from my creek, and I'm afraid I can't remember my way back!" the beaver said bashfully. "My name is Gus, by the way! Gus the beaver."
Dave smiled kindly at Gus. "Nice to meet you Gus! I am Dave the squirrel. You're more than welcome to stay at my house as long as you need! Please, do come inside." Dave stepped aside to allow the beaver entrance.
"Oh, thank you ever so much!" the beaver beamed with happiness.
Gus and Dave decided to live together after a week of the beaver staying at his acorn abode. Dave was lonely all by himself, and Gus was hopelessly lost. Gus will never forget Dave's hospitality.

2 comments:

  1. Very creative. :). Your writing style is very humorous and entertaining. I liked your description of Dave's acorn house and his fun little bingo nights. That is all I have to say; I can't think of any clever comments involving Senor Ares, sadly. Good job though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much agree with Janna. It was very funny, and the details were everywhere. You gave me where he lived and lots of descriptions about everything. That is what I like to see! I even learned life lessons from you!

    ReplyDelete