Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Chapters 11/12

I thought chapter nine was very cute. I enjoyed reading about how Jane and Holden met. I think I like Jane and Holden’s relationship almost as much as I liked the relationship between Santiago and Manolin. I think that Jane is the only person that Holden really likes and trusts besides his little sister, Phoebe. I am confused however, about why he did not talk to her when she was waiting for Stradlater the day that he and she went on a date. After reading this chapter, I would have thought that they were good enough friends that they would still talk to each other and hang out all time. I thought the part of chapter nine where Holden explained how he would only show Jane Allie’s baseball glove was really cute and touching. I think that Allie’s baseball glove is one of Holden’s most cherished items, so I think that Holden showing her symbolizes his trust in Jane. The saddest part of the chapter was definitely when Holden was explaining Jane’s alcoholic father. He described how they were sitting on the porch and her father came out to ask for cigarettes. When Jane ignored him, he left. Jane broke down crying and turned to Holden for comfort. I thought this part of the chapter was both sad and cute at the same time. Holden spends the rest of the chapter talking about how happy Jane made him.

I did not have much of a reaction to chapter twelve. I did find it funny, however, when Holden tried to start up another conversation about ducks with his other taxi cab driver. I don’t know if Holden has some unusual obsession with ducks and that lagoon or if he just likes to use that as a conversation starter. The taxi cab driver ended up getting angry at Holden, which I did not understand. I pitied Holden and his horrible luck at getting a taxi cab driver who actually likes small talk. He goes to a nightclub later that night where he meets one of his brother’s ex-girlfriends. He is forced to leave out of sheer annoyance.

No comments:

Post a Comment