Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Opinion on The Old Man and the Sea

I really like The Old Man and the Sea for many reasons. It was written very well, the imagery was fantastic, and the characters were very three-dimensional. I think Ernest Hemingway is a fantastic writer. He made the story simple yet appealing and interesting, and the imagery he used made me feel like I was in the story with the old man. I thought the characters had a lot of depth. They were not average two-dimensional characters like many novels.

I have already explained why Ernest Hemingway’s writing style was so good. I really like how The Old Man and the Sea was not intimidating. It was not a very long book, and the writing was not confusing to read. This was one of the few books for school that I actually enjoyed. I also liked how the main plot was extremely simple, as well. It was just about an old man and his fishing adventure at sea, but I think it was still a really good book that people can relate to.

I think the amazing imagery Ernest Hemingway used was part of why The Old Man and the Sea can still be a great novel without being really long or having a twisting plot line. He used a lot of color and texture description to make the reader feel like part of the story. I like books that pull me in and make me want to keep reading more.

Ernest Hemingway’s characters in The Old Man and the Sea were written and described very well. I like how the Santiago and Manolin did not have perfect or cliché lives. Manolin had problems with his dad, and Santiago was a poor fisherman who was down on his luck. I think by making the characters have more of background, Hemingway made them more relatable. They were very easy to become attached to, especially Santiago, I thought. They had problems that real people suffer from, and I think that gave them more depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment