Sunday, August 22, 2010

El defeat de Santiago (Spanglish)


I still really like using quotes because they are easy to talk about. I have a lot of opinions on quotes, too, so I enjoy doing this. These are quotes from when Santiago felt defeat. I felt the need to make a blog about his defeat because I made three about his pride. This blog is basically going to be about how I don’t think Santiago is completely full of himself. He is pretty full of himself though.

“Now they have beaten me, he thought. I am too old to club sharks to death. But I will try it as long as I have the oars and the short club and the tiller.”

This quote is about Santiago realizing that he has been defeated. But although he has been defeated, he will fight back until he can’t fight anymore. I respect him for that. Admittedly, I found this part of the book a little funny. The idea of an old man beating a group of sharks to death with an oar is just amusing to me. I think it is because most old men are crippled and unable to perform physically exhausting activities. Santiago is no ordinary old man, though! Not many old men can say that they have reeled in a giant marlin for days on end without sleep. Santiago would make an awesome grandpa. I think he’s the type of grandpa who would take you fishing every weekend and buy you ice cream at the pier.

“Now it is over, he thought. They will probably hit me again. But what can a man do against them in the dark without a weapon?

This quote is ironic to me because after Santiago thinks this to himself, he continues to struggle with the sharks. He keeps saying “it’s over” but as he is thinking that, he is fighting the sharks. At least he is going down with honor. It was never really “over” until he fully gave up and stopped whacking sharks with an oar.

No comments:

Post a Comment