Sunday, August 22, 2010

More Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea

These are a few more quotes from The Old Man and the Sea that I really like.

“Fish, I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends.”

This is a quote from Santiago. I like it because I feel like he said it with pride, and I think he deserves to be proud of something after having not caught anything for months. I also like how he has confidence in abilities. He is positive that he will capture and kill the marlin. At this point, I do not think he considers the sharks that will swarm around the marlin after he kills it.

I wish I had the boy.

This is another quote from Santiago. He thinks this to himself while he suffers from trying to catch the marlin alone. This is also a little ironic because Manolin offered to go out to sea with Santiago that day. Santiago was stubborn though and told him not to come. Manolin tried to reason with him by saying that he had made some money from his last job, but Santiago would still not let him come along. I knew that Santiago was going to regret not allowing Manolin to come along with him. I also like this quote because I love the relationship the old man and Manolin have.

“Everything about him was old except his eyes and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated.”

I like this quote because I love the way Hemingway describes things. This quote makes the old man seem like although he ages on the inside, he is forever young on the inside. His spirit is blissful and confident even though he has rotten luck and his body is old and scarred. I also like how the old man’s eyes reflect the sea. He is always out on the ocean so I found this quote to be clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment