Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Favorite Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea

I think this is going to be my last blog about The Old Man and the Sea. I have done almost half of my blogs on just this book! I don’t mind, though. In this blog, I am going to put down a few more quotes that I really like.

"’But are you strong enough now for a truly big fish?’

‘I think so. And there are many tricks.’"

I like this quote because it makes the old man sound wistful and full of wisdom. I am sure that not only does he sound intelligent, but he actually is quite smart. He is very strong, too, which I admire.

"’Who is the greatest manager, really, Luque or Mike Gonzalez?’

‘I think they are equal.’

‘And the best fisherman is you.’”

I think by now the reason I love this quote should be very obvious. I think Manolin and Santiago’s relationship is extremely adorable. I think it is because I find it cute when a child looks up to another figure as if they are a parent or guardian, even though they are not. I don’t know why I find that cute, but I do. I like how Manolin looks up more to Santiago than he does his own father. Manolin’s father was a bit of a jerk, though. I greatly dislike his father for not allowing Manolin to fish with Santiago. You would think that maybe Manolin’s father would have sympathy for Santiago because he is old man out at sea all alone, but he does not.

"’How old was I when you first took me in a boat?’

‘Five and you nearly were killed when I brought the fish in too green and he nearly tore the boat to pieces. Can you remember?’

‘I can remember the tail slapping and banging and the thwart breaking and the noise of the clubbing. I can remember you throwing me into the bow where the wet coiled lines were and feeling the whole boat shiver and the noise of you clubbing him like chopping a tree down and the sweet blood smell all over me.’

‘Can you really remember that or did I just tell it to you?’

‘I remember everything from when we first went together.’"

I adore this quote for the same reason I love the last one. I really adore their father-son relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment