Sunday, August 22, 2010

Santiago's Endurance Numero Dos.

This is the second installation of Santiago’s Strength and Endurance! I don’t remember if that was the actual name of my last blog or not. I suppose it doesn’t matter, though. I have so many blogs about The Old Man and the Sea, but I can’t help it!

“I could just drift, he thought, and sleep and put a bight of line around my toe to wake me. But today is eighty-five days and I should fish the day well.

Just then, watching his lines, he saw one of the projecting green sticks dip sharply.”

This quote shows how Santiago’s endurance and patience paid off. I would have just fallen asleep there. I respect his ability to stay awake for hours on end under pressure. I love how he just randomly decided that since it was day number eighty-five the fishing would be good. If Santiago was weak and unable to stay awake, the marlin would have gotten away from him without him ever knowing.

“Nothing happened. The fish just moved away slowly and the old man could not raise him an inch. His line was strong and made for heavy fish and he held it against his hack until it was so taut that beads of water were jumping from it. Then it began to make a slow hissing sound in the water and he still held it, bracing himself against the thwart and leaning back against the pull. The boat began to move slowly off toward the north-west.

This quote is about how the marlin was just as determined as Santiago. The marlin must have been exceptionally strong to pull both Santiago and the boat. Once again, I would love to be as strong as that marlin! I think Santiago and the marlin were both fairly well matched competitors. I was impressed by both the old man and the giant fish that was towing him around. I wish I had a giant marlin to tow me around the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment