Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye: Chapters 3/4

Oh man, after that first blog about The Catcher in the Rye, I’ve suddenly become terribly annoyed by these blogs. I dislike talking about things I don’t like because I tend to just ramble, but maybe I do that with novels I like, too.

Chapter three of The Catcher in the Rye brings in a few more characters: Ackley, Holden’s disgusting neighbor, and Stradlater, who is his roommate. I find Ackley to be extremely gross. I would kick him out of my room if he starting popping his pimples for fun on my bed. I almost skip the areas where Ackley is mentioned because it seems like every time he is brought up, something disgusting is brought up as well. I just despise people who do not have good hygiene. I suppose that is just something else that Holden and I have in common. When I first read about Stradlater, I thought he sounded kind of like a tool. He did not appear to be intelligent. He is one of the most popular boys at Pency Prep. I want to call him “The Stradlater”. His name sounds like a WWE name. Now every time Stradlater is mentioned in the book, I think of big muscular guys, but I suppose Stradlater is a big muscular guy. I think the only thing I liked about Stradlater is that his presence made Ackley leave.

In Chapter four, Stradlater angers Holden by talking about the date he has with Holden’s secret crush, Jane- although the Stradlater calls her Jean. He is extremely unintelligent, I dislike him. This chapter made me like Holden even more. He talked about all the things he remembered about Jane, reminiscing in his own little world. I liked that because I do that, too. I really like it when I can relate to the characters. My dislike of Stradlater grew even more when he asked Holden to do his homework for him. I can understand not having enough time, but I would still never ask someone else to do my homework . I thought it was cute that Holden wanted to talk to Jane while she waited for Stradlater.

No comments:

Post a Comment