Sunday, August 22, 2010

Chapters 5/6

I am really starting to dislike this. I just thought I should make that known.

Chapter five begins with Holden doing normal activities. He ate food, got in a snowball fight, then to my surprise, he went to go see a movie. Then I was even more surprised when he invited Ackley. I still hate Ackley with a passion. I half expected Holden to get angry and frustrated halfway through the movie then leave, but he did not. If I had hatred as passionate as his about Hollywood, I probably would have walked out. I’m sorry, but I wanted to punch Ackley in the face when he started talking about some girl he had sex with the summer before. I don’t think Holden believed him, and neither did i. On top of him being an annoying person, he started to pop his pimples in public again. That is revolting to me. Thinking about doing that makes me want to go bathe in sanitizer. Ackley annoys me more than any other character in any other book I have ever read. I really liked the end of this chapter when Holden began talking about his little brother, Allie. Allie sounds like he would have been an adorable kid. It’s really sad that he passed away. I like how Salinger came up with a cute quirk that Allie liked to do, which was scribbling poems onto a baseballs glove with a green pen.

Chapter six is about what happened after Stradlater got home from his date with Jane. I did not think he had the right to insult Holden on the journal entry he did for Stradlater. He should just accept what Holden was kind enough to do for him. I felt bad for Holden when he shredded the paper he wrote. I felt like that by doing that, he was somehow shredding a memory of Allie himself. I can understand why Holden would attack Stradlater, I would too.

No comments:

Post a Comment