Sunday, August 22, 2010

Santiago and Manolin Quotes

This is my twentieth blog on The Old Man and the Sea. I really enjoyed this book, though. It was my favorite out of the three books we read this summer. I hope it’s okay that I’m doing so many blogs on one book! This blog is going to be one of my favorites because it’s about Santiago and Manolin’s friendship! I’m so excited. I love them so much.

"Yes," the old man said. He was holding his glass and thinking of many years ago.

"Can I go out to get sardines for you for tomorrow?"

"No. Go and play baseball. I can still row and Rogelio will throw the net."

"I would like to go. If I cannot fish with you. I would like to serve in some way.”

I love this quote because it expresses Manolin’s love Santiago. I think it’s so cute that he always wants to help Santiago. I think Manolin’s love for Santiago is expressed by helping him. If I was Santiago, I would accept the help. It would be like have a little minion around all the time, it would be awesome.

“Where did you wash? the boy thought. The village water supply was two streets down the road. I must have water here for him, the boy thought, and soap and a good towel. Why am I so thoughtless? I must get him another shirt and a jacket for the winter and some sort of shoes and another blanket.”

I think this quote is adorable. Manolin is so devoted to Santiago and keeping him safe and healthy. I don’t like how Manolin thinks that nothing he ever does is good enough for Santiago, though. I think he does everything he can for Santiago, and at times I think he is too good for Santiago. Santiago takes him for granted. This is proved when Santiago is trying to reel in the marlin and he thinks about how much he would love to have the boy there to help him. They have a great relationship, I think.

2 comments: