Sunday, August 22, 2010

Santiago's Strength and Skills

This blog is going to be about how strong and skilled Santiago is. He is so strong for an old man! I would not be able to do what he did, and I’m super young compared to him. I look up to the old man like he is my own grandfather. I think it would be awesome if he was my actual grandpa! He’s so strong that we could go on hikes or go jogging together and he would still be okay by the end. We would also go fishing all the time! I love fishing, as well as Santiago.

When the boy came back the old man was asleep in the chair and the sun was down. The boy took the old army blanket off the bed and spread it over the back of the chair and over the old man’s shoulders. They were strange shoulders, still powerful although very old, and the neck was still strong too and the creases did not show so much when the old man was asleep and his head fallen forward. His shirt had been patched so many times that it was like the sail and the patches were faded to many different shades by the sun. The old man’s head was very old though and with his eyes closed there was no life in his face. The newspaper lay across his knees and the weight of his arm held it there in the evening breeze. He was barefooted.”

I like this quote because of how descriptive it is. I really like details in books, especially when they make the character more three-dimensional. In this quote, the old man is described in a way that he was not described in the beginning. This quote talks about how subtly strong the old man is. I think most people missed this part of Santiago the first time Hemingway described him. But the proof of his strength was revealed during his long battle with a marlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment