Sunday, August 22, 2010

Santiago's Pride Continued Part Dos

Yes, this is in fact a third blog about Santiago’s pride. There are so many quotes in this book above him being full of himself that I can’t resist. At least it’s something else to type about.

“Then his head started to become a little unclear and he thought, is he bringing me in or am I bringing him in? If I were towing him behind there would be no question. Nor if the fish were in the skiff, with all dignity gone, there would be no question either. But they were sailing together lashed side by side and the old man thought, let him bring me in if it pleases him. I am only better than him through trickery and he meant me no harm.”

I think at this point Santiago was starting to go a little crazy. I don’t know if it was from lack of water or food, or if it was his own pride just going to his head. The marlin is dead, so I suppose he has a right to be full of pride this time. I am still not going to let the whole disowning his hand thing slide, though. In this quote he thinks that the fish could be towing him. I want to ask him what was going on. No, of course the fish is not towing Santiago’s boat along. The fish is dead because he hit it with a bat. That makes me sad since I quite like fish. The idea of someone beating a fish to death makes me a little melancholy.

Besides, he thought, everything kills everything else in some way. Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive. The boy keeps me alive, he thought. I must not deceive myself too much.”

I like this quote because Santiago admits that he loves the boy like a son. As I have mentioned earlier, I love the relationship Santiago and Manolin have with each other. I think it is adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment