Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ernest Hemingway's Writing Style

Ernest Hemingway’s writing style in The Old Man and the Sea was very simple. I think that his simplistic writing helped to make the story flow better. It was very easy to be consumed in The Old Man and the Sea because there were no confusing moments where the writing would suddenly become complicated and frustrating. The book itself was not that long, but I thought it was a great book. Hemingway did not try to use huge words to make his book seem more mature. He used everyday vocabulary that is relatable to almost any reader. I really like his writing style in this book. The details were realistic, and he wrote it from a good perspective, I thought. I think Hemingway’s simple writing style helped to attract a wider range of readers. Teenagers can read The Old Man and the Sea without getting lost or confused once. Adults can enjoy this novel, too because although it is short, it is realistic and the situations are relatable. I think that Hemingway’s writing style in The Old Man and the Sea is also clever because he wrote it in such a way that the story seems to be from the old man’s point of view even though it is written in third person. Hemingway made Santiago a relatable character for most people so he is easy to bond to as the story progresses. When Santiago loses the Marlin to sharks at the end of the novel, the readers feel sympathy for him. I think Hemingway did a great job at making Santiago an easy character to like. Throughout the story, I felt like I was really getting to know Santiago. Hemingway made the old man a raw and genuine character. The details and the way Hemingway expressed the old man’s feelings made me feel like I was on the boat with Santiago. I think that Hemingway’s writing style will make The Old Man and the Sea a timeless story.

No comments:

Post a Comment