Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye: Chapters 1/2

Now I am going to start doing blogs on The Catcher and the Rye. I am going to start off with my reactions to every couple chapters. I thought this book was really timeless and well written. I don’t know if I like it as much as The Old Man and the Sea, but this one was really good.

In chapter one, the character Holden Caulfield is introduced. After I read the first few paragraphs, I immediately liked Holden. For one, his name is pretty amazing. And secondly, I love how he had a great dislike for Hollywood and movie stars. I also dislike how the current generation cannot survive happily without knowing the latest celebrity gossip. I think people these days should be more interested in something else, not who did what last night. I liked that Holden and I had that in common. I do not have a relative who is famous, but I am sure Jenna is on her way there! I also liked how he was good at English, with the exception of the horrible paper he turned into his teacher about Egyptians. I thought it was interesting that he had failed every class but English. I really like how close he is with his teacher, too.

In chapter two, Holden goes to his English teacher’s house. I thought it was funny when his teacher began to read his atrocious paper to him. I have never heard a paper that horrible in my life so I thought it was hilarious. I liked the way Mr. Spencer treated Holden. It may have been a little harsh, but I think everybody needs a little of that in their lives. Without it, I think people would be unbearable, but maybe that’s just me. Mr. Spencer seemed really cool. I would love to have a teacher like him. Well, I would not want him to grade any of my papers but from the way J.D. Salinger describes him, he seems like a very swell guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment