Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Journal #7

I do not follow any superstitions. I am not a superstitious person, I never have been. I can't write about any superstitions I follow since I don't have any, but I can type about how when I was little I would follow superstitions just for fun. For example, I remember the rhyme "step on a crack, break your mother's back". I'm not sure that would be a superstition, but when I was little I still made sure to jump over all the cracks in the sidewalk. I only did that when I remembered the rhyme, but that's as close as I can get to being superstitious. I think superstitions are pointless. I don't know what else to type about since I don't believe any superstitions! I'll just talk about the different types of superstitions, I suppose.
I think the superstition I hear about most is walking under ladders. I can not remember what the consequences of doing that are, but I know it had something to do with having bad luck for however many years. I can understand why you should not walk under one because it's dangerous, but I do not believe it would give you bad luck.
I think the saying about a black cat crossing your path giving you bad luck is even more ridiculous than the ladder superstition. At least walking under a ladder is potentially dangerous so there is some logic to it. Having a black cat cross your path could not harm you whatsoever, even if it had some disease and tried to attack you. Cats are puny.
Another superstition is if you break a mirror it is seven years of bad luck. This superstition has a little logic behind it, as well. I do not think it would give you bad luck, but it is dangerous, just like the ladder situation. If you break a mirror you will more than likely get hurt, and maybe people take that as bad luck. There are many other superstitions, but these are the three that I remember the most.

1 comment:

  1. I don't really know what to say for my comment on your writing style. It was good.

    ReplyDelete