Thursday, January 20, 2011

Journal #33

Today, my blog is going to be about the Hoogland Center for the Arts. I think that's something that is particular to this area? Oh well. If it's not, I'm sorry. Anyway, The Hoogland! I love the Hoogland. It is basically a huge building with a ton of different galleries and stages. There is one big stage right when you walk in, and it has two levels, I think. There is also a really neato little sitting area right when you walk in. There are huge windows with some lil' tables so you can observe Springfieldians as the stroll along. There is also a smaller stage on the third floor, right across from the little gallery. My mom displays her artwork in that tiny gallery on the third floor across from a small stage! That is mostly why I chose the Hoogland. My mom is a member of the Watercolor Society (ridiculous, I know), and they always have these little shows at the Hoogland. Because of those shows, I am at the Hoogland very often, and it has grown on me.
Sadly, the Hoogland is in a lot of debt, sad face. They're not really making enough of a profit on much of anything to keep the poor place open. I do not recall how far itno debt they are, but I'm pretty sure it's in the millions. It's a shame because the Hoogland really is one of the only places in Springfield that is used for theatrical productions and art galleries. Without the Hoogland, where would my mother's little Watercolor Society hang their paintings? Where would my friend Connor O'Brian host his Improv shows? The Sangamon Prairie Art Alliance?! Springfield needs the Hoogland! It could just be because I enjoy the arts, but I think the Hoogland is an awesome place to go to when you are in Springfield!

No comments:

Post a Comment