Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Journal #32

This journal is about a memoir! Well, I am going to write about my trip back from Chicago with Abby. I chose this part of my winter break because it made me grow emotionally! And now I will tell the story.

Abby and I went to Chicago for a day over winter break, as I previously stated. We left on some day that I can't remember and stayed the night in The Knickerbocker hotel. It was very nice. We went shopping all over the place. As we were leaving Chicago, it started to snow really bad. I mean atrociously bad. For more than half of the trip, we had to go under 45 miles per hour, ON THE INTERSTATE. We were slipping and sliding around, and you could not even tell if the road had two lanes or three! It was super bad. We decided to start counting how many people we saw that had slid off the road from Chicago to Springfield. We counted eighteen! That is a lot of people. I think they were all okay. Well, I HOPE they were all okay. This caused me to have an epiphany. Or at least what I like to think is an epiphany. I realized that I should value my safety and should never take it for granted. I was lucky enough to not be one of those people that was stranded on the side of the road, or one of those people that had collided with another person AND THEN slid off the road. It makes me very thankful that I have a car that (usually) gets traction, and I am thankful that Abby's mom did not drive off of the road on the way home! It was funny because Abby was yelling at her mom for not getting four-wheel drive on their Honda Element, and her mom was yelling, "IT WAS TOO EXPENSIVEEE". We turned that horrible driving weather situation into one of joy by singing Christmas carols. It was probably mildly annoying for her mom. Well that was the epiphany that I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment