Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Journal #43

This Jazz music is very soothing. I do not usually visualize music with imagery unless the music comes with a music video. If that is the case, then whenever I hear the song I think of the music video. This Jazz song- which may or may not be pronounced Yazz, it could be a soft J- does not have a music video. There is just a picture of an African American man in deep thought, his finger resting peacefully on his upper lip. So now, whenever I hear this song, I think of this thoughtful black man playing multiple Jazz instruments all at once. Usually I just think of him playing a saxophone, though, since that is the generic Jazz instrument.

This music also reminds me of Fantasia 2000. Specifically, it reminds me of the beginning of the movie when "Rhapsody in Blue" is playing, and the black man is rushing off to his job at a construction sight. I think of just him, not the other characters in the story. It makes me think of him at the end of the movie, when he attends "Harlem Jazz Night" in the underground subway. He finally gets to play his Jazz music, and I am visualizing that friendly black man playing this Jazz song.

This song really just makes me think of African Americans in the Harlem Renaissance playing Jazz instruments. There is nothing else that I really visualize when I hear this song. I just imagine people playing the song on a stage in cute little suits with tails. They all have white cuff links and huge foreheads, and I am being completely serious. That is exactly what I see.

I suppose it also makes me visualize an elevator in a hotel. I imagine a large group of people all crowded into an elevator. As they stand awkwardly in a group, Jazz music is playing in the background. No one is speaking, people are just listening to the soothing tones of whoever wrote this Jazz song. The song plays on repeat, allowing everyone who rides in that elevator that day to hear this delightful Jazz song.

No comments:

Post a Comment